We can hardly believe the year’s most celebratory season is already here, and with that comes the first of many winter holidays: Thanksgiving. Naturally, as we are lovers of food, this is not just a holiday, it’s THE holiday. Visions of glazed sweet potatoes, buttery rolls, and plates piled high with cornbread stuffing dance in our heads as we plan the ultimate feast for our families. But, when it comes down to it, we know it’s the turkey that’s the true star of the show. So how do you choose the right thanksgiving bird for you and your family? Knowing the difference between conventional and pastured is a great place to start.
- Found in most grocery stores
- Limited space living quarters, no ground to roost on while sleeping, access to water when needed, and literally any space to move within for the entire life of the bird
- Treated with antibiotics, chemical preservatives and/or pesticides
- Found only at Farmhouse Delivery
- Sprawling pastures provide the turkeys constant access to sunshine, green grass, clean water
- Birds are never given growth hormone or antibiotics, keeping you and your families safe from any unwanted and unhealthy additives.
Aside from just the health of it, pasture-raised turkey tastes better. With higher quality food, happy lives, and longer life spans, the turkeys are able to develop a rich, more robust flavor over time that the rapid-raised factory birds just don’t have. In a season when giving thanks illuminates the backdrop of all of our gatherings, we feel it’s that much more important to offer our appreciation for our loved ones, our hard-working farmers and ranchers that make these meals so special, and people like you who value supporting and growing your local food system.