Build a fire and they will come. You’ve mixed up your secret marinade, lit the coals, and iced down the drinks, but what to serve on the side? We’ve got you covered! Read on for some ideas for our favorite go-withs for barbecue:
- Blistered shishito peppers – just grill over high heat for 3-5 minutes and serve with a cool + tangy blue cheese yogurt sauce.
- Grilled corn with garlic + fresh herb butter – mix chopped garlic and fresh local herbs (try basil and chives) with room temperature butter and slather onto freshly grilled corn.
- Ember-roasted eggplant baba ghanoush – place whole eggplant in hot charcoal embers and roast until tender. Scoop out the flesh and blend in lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and fresh herbs and serve with chips or pita bread.
- Summer fruit salad with herbs + key lime – chop fruit and toss with a squeeze of lime, a drizzle of honey, and some fresh herbs for a twist on classic fruit salad.
- Squash kebabs – thread chunks of yellow squash and zucchini on skewers (alternate with cherry tomatoes if you’d like), brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill alongside meat.
- Heirloom tomato and cucumber salad – slice cucumbers and tomatoes, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.